Table of Contents
- 1 How do I migrate a test database in Rails?
- 2 How do you test database migration?
- 3 How do I create a test database in Rails?
- 4 How do you run an integration test in rails?
- 5 What does rake db prepare do?
- 6 How do I run a specific spec in rails?
- 7 Should you test rails validations?
- 8 How do you write a test case in Ruby on Rails?
- 9 What is a Ruby spec?
- 10 Should I use RSpec?
- 11 What order is the capybara in?
- 12 How do you run capybara test rails?
- 13 Are capybaras really friendly?
- 14 Are capybara dangerous?
- 15 Is cucumber a ruby?
- 16 Does cucumber work with Python?
- 17 Is cucumber a functional testing tool?
- 18 What are the disadvantages of cucumber framework?
- 19 When should you not use cucumbers?
- 20 Can we use cucumber for API testing?
How do I migrate a test database in Rails?
Steps to reproduce
- Create a new rails app using rails 5.1.0.rc2 and postgres database.
- run bundle exec rake db:create.
- Create a new migration.
- run bundle exec rake db:migrate.
- Check the test database to verify migration did not run.
How do you test database migration?
Data migration testing encompasses Data Level Validation testing and Application Level Validation testing.
- Data Level Validation Testing:
- Application Level Validation Testing.
- Test Approach for Data Migrating Testing.
- Data Validation Test Design.
- Test Environments.
- Data Validation Test Runs.
- Reporting Bugs.
How do I run migrations in rails?
Create the Migrations This will create the file db/migrate/001_table_name. rb. A migration file contains the basic Ruby syntax that describes the data structure of a database table. NOTE − Before running the migration generator, it is recommended to clean the existing migrations generated by model generators.
How do I create a test database in Rails?
Test database is created with environment=’development’ when running rake db:test:prepare #26731
- Steps to reproduce. Just run the rake tasks below in a new rails 5 app (after having configured your database.yml) rake db:create rake db:migrate rake db:test:prepare.
- Expected behavior.
- Actual behavior.
- System configuration.
How do you run an integration test in rails?
Provided you have installed Ruby and Rails, you can set up a new Rails application. We’ll need to add Capybara to our Gemfile in the group test. This can be done at the bottom of the file. Note that we’re using a gem called minitest-rails-capybara, which integrates Capybara with Minitest and Rails.
How do you run all rails tests?
We can run all of our tests at once by using the bin/rails test command. Or we can run a single test file by passing the bin/rails test command the filename containing the test cases. This will run all test methods from the test case.
What does rake db prepare do?
Basically it handles cloning the database so you don’t have to run the migrations against test to update the test database. Specifically, rake db:test:prepare will do the following: Check for pending migrations and, load the test schema.
How do I run a specific spec in rails?
So you can do: rspec spec/jobs to run the tests found in the jobs directory. rspec spec/jobs spec/services to run only tests found in the jobs and services directory.
How do I run rails specs?
Right click an folder or spec file and choose Run Specs option. There is posibility to run specs for currently open file, the extension will try to guess the path using Rails convention: app/controllers/test_controller. rb => spec/controllers/test_controller_spec.
Should you test rails validations?
5 Answers. Yes. Testing that a model attribute is present or not is only testing the validates_presence_of code as a by-product of the real test which is that the validates_presence_of exists within your model.
How do you write a test case in Ruby on Rails?
Ruby on Rails 2.1 – Unit Testing
- Introduction. Before proceeding, let’s have a quick look at a few definitions −
- Rails Testing.
- Database Setup.
- Configuring database.yml.
- Generate Migration.
- Testing Models.
- Testing the Controllers.
- Using Rake for Testing.
What is Rspec rails gem?
rspec-rails brings the RSpec testing framework to Ruby on Rails as a drop-in alternative to its default testing framework, Minitest. In RSpec, tests are not just scripts that verify your application code. According to RSpec Rails new versioning strategy use: rspec-rails 5.
What is a Ruby spec?
RSpec is a computer domain-specific language (DSL) (particular application domain) testing tool written in the programming language Ruby to test Ruby code. It is a behavior-driven development (BDD) framework which is extensively used in production applications.
Should I use RSpec?
RSpec is way more powerful because it’s far easier to both read and write tests in. It’s also very elegant when using mocks and stubs, a concept which will become extremely useful once you start using them in your tests.
How do you run a capybara?
Without further ado, let’s do it:
- Make sure you have one of the following Chrome versions:
- Add (or update) the gem selenium-webdriver ;
- Make sure you’re using ChromeDriver version 2.30 or higher.
- Add the following driver to your spec/support/capybara.rb , spec/spec_helper.rb , or spec/rails_helper.rb :
What order is the capybara in?
How do you run capybara test rails?
Using Capybara with Minitest
- If you are using Rails, but not using Rails system tests, add the following code in your test_helper.rb file to make Capybara available in all test cases deriving from ActionDispatch::IntegrationTest :
- If you are not using Rails, define a base class for your Capybara tests like so:
How do you attach a capybara gem?
Installing capybara-webkit gem on Ubuntu 16.04
- sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install g++ qt5-default libqt5webkit5-dev gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-tools gstreamer1.0-x.
- The following packages have unmet dependencies: qtbase5-dev : Depends: libgles2-mesa-dev or libgles2-dev but it is not installable.
Are capybaras really friendly?
Friendliest Wild Animal: Capybaras Known to be super chill, they get along famously with cats, birds, crocodiles, camels, humans, and everything in between! Monkeys are especially fond of this semi-aquatic animal.
Are capybara dangerous?
Capybaras are not really dangerous, but a lot depends on the way they are raised. There is no human intervention in these animals, and so they are not like our dogs and cats. Hence, they need even greater TLC and specific care.
What is cucumber gem?
Try it out: cucumber –help. Then, initialize a features/ directory: cucumber –init. Bundler is a utility gem that manages project specific RubyGem dependencies such that each Rails project is unaffected by the gem requirements of another.
Is cucumber a ruby?
Does cucumber work with Python?
Cucumber can be used with Python code, via the use of a Ruby-Python interpreter, but that is beyond the scope of this tutorial. Behave: a near exact port of Cucumber into Python. Has a good level of documentation, and is updated constantly by the developers.
How does cucumber Ruby testing work?
Cucumber is a test framework for behavior-driven Ruby development. Cucumber scenarios are written using the Gherkin syntax and stored in . feature files. RubyMine integrates with Cucumber and allows you to run tests, create step definitions, navigate between features and step definitions, and so on.
Is cucumber a functional testing tool?
A cucumber is a tool based on Behavior Driven Development (BDD) framework which is used to write acceptance tests for the web application. It allows automation of functional validation in easily readable and understandable format (like plain English) to Business Analysts, Developers, Testers, etc.
What are the disadvantages of cucumber framework?
How difficult is cucumber?
Practically speaking, Cucumber tests are a bit more difficult to work with than unit tests; they carry state between methods with class variables, many IDEs give less ability to debug on them, and it can be complicated to maintain the set of prose-to-code mappings.
When should you not use cucumbers?
When shouldn’t you use Cucumber?
- The regex tax. There is an overhead when using Cucumber.
- Taxing test coverage. Within BDD, scenarios are only created for key examples of behaviour and are not used to document every single edge case as tests.
- Mixing tools and code.
Can we use cucumber for API testing?
Cucumber is not an API automation tool, but it works well with other API automation tools. Using API’s for your automation, can make your tests faster and less flaky than going through the UI.
Is TestNG better than cucumber?
If your current tests are already using TestNG, then it will be easier to run Cucumber tests with TestNG engine. At the opposite, if you already have JUnit tests, it could be easier to use JUnit for Cucumber run (but TestNG is able to run JUnit tests, so you can use TestNG in that case too).